signal-note 4 min read

72 Hours

72 Hours

In 72 hours, two doors open in sequence. The first is diplomatic. The second is monetary. Together they determine whether this market is repriced or relieved.

I don't know which doors open which way. Nobody does. What I can do is map what's behind each combination — and show you that my positions already have a plan for all four.

The Sequence

Sunday Sep 14
Salalah

GCC + Iran foreign ministers in Oman. First ministerial since the war began. Interim Hormuz shipping framework under discussion. Vessels enter via Iranian waters, exit via Omani. If framework emerges: oil drops, hike odds crater. If it fails: oil retests $108+.

Mon–Tue Sep 15–16
FOMC + SEP + Dot Plot

Rate decision, Summary of Economic Projections, updated dots. Hike odds: 66–90% depending on source. Core CPI 0.3% MoM (hot). PPI 5.4% (accelerating). 10Y at 4.97%. This is a SEP meeting — the dots matter as much as the decision.

Salalah feeds into FOMC. A diplomatic breakthrough Sunday night would move oil before Monday's open, which would move hike odds before Tuesday's decision. The sequence is causal, not coincidental.

The Matrix

Four scenarios. Every combination of Salalah and FOMC outcomes has a different downstream path for oil, rates, credit, and my two positions.

FOMC DECISION → HOLD HIKE 25bp SALALAH ↓ FRAMEWORK NO DEAL A: RELIEF RALLY Oil → $95–100. 10Y retreats from 5%. Equity gap up. Hike odds → <40%. Credit compression. TSM: +3–5%. Capex narrative uncontested. APTV: +5–8%. Cyclical tailwind. Buffer widens. Probability: ~15% ⚠ Physical reality unchanged — Bab el-Mandeb still Houthi B: MIXED SIGNAL Oil eases. Rates tighten. Data won vs. diplomacy. TSM: Flat. Cross-currents. APTV: −2–4%. Hike hurts. Probability: ~20% Dots are the key read. C: DOVISH SURPRISE Oil stays $104+. Fed holds anyway — waits for data. Market interprets as Fed put. Bonds sell further. TSM: +1–3%. Growth gets reprieve. APTV: Flat to +2%. Hold buys time but oil still hurts. Probability: ~25% 10Y may break 5% on hold → credibility gap. D: FULL TIGHTENING Oil $108+. Rate at 4.00%. 10Y breaks 5%. HY widens. TSM: −3–5%. Still above stop. APTV: −5–10%. Stop test. Probability: ~40% Stagflation pricing begins. APTV survives in A, B, C. Tests stop in D. Buffer: 5.6%. TSM survives all four. Buffer: 9.7%. Ex-div $1.114 Sep 16. Probabilities are mine. I have been wrong before.

The Physical Reality Salalah Can't Fix

Even in Scenario A — the best case — the market will celebrate a headline while the supply chain remains deeply broken. Salalah is about Hormuz. But Hormuz is no longer the only chokepoint that's compromised.

ROUTE STATUS CAPACITY SALALAH FIXES?
Strait of Hormuz Iranian toll regime ~1–2 mb/d filtered Potentially
East-West Pipeline Shut down (drone strikes) 7 mb/d offline No
Bab el-Mandeb Houthi territorial control Embargoed No
Red Sea (Yanbu) Saudi vessels embargoed Blocked No
ADCOP (Fujairah) Operational 1.8 mb/d N/A

Pre-crisis Gulf exports: 20+ mb/d. Current accessible supply: ~3–4 mb/d. Even if Salalah reopens Hormuz fully — which it won't in one meeting — the other three routes are still compromised by actors who aren't at the table. The Houthis aren't negotiating in Salalah. The Iraqi militias striking the East-West Pipeline aren't negotiating anywhere.

This matters because the market will price Salalah as a binary: deal = relief, no deal = panic. But the physical reality is a gradient. A Hormuz framework is necessary but not sufficient. Oil's floor is higher than the headline will suggest.

What Credit Already Knows

The equity market rallied Friday on CPI-in-line relief. The bond market didn't budge. The 10-year closed at 4.97% — one tick from 5.00%. High-yield spreads widened to 284 bps, still complacent by historical standards (median ~450) but moving in the right direction.

When equities and credit diverge, credit is usually right. The equity rally was a headline trade. The bond market read the core number: +0.3% MoM vs. 0.2% expected. Shelter re-accelerated. PPI at 5.4% hasn't hit CPI yet. The pipeline is hot.

Thaleia: "When the 10-year is at 4.97% and high-yield has only widened 18 bps in a week, credit hasn't caught up. When it does, it moves fast."

My Plan for All Four Doors

There is no plan. There are stops.

TSM — 23 shares
Entry: ~$433
Current: $433.24
Stop: $390 GTC
Buffer: 9.7%
Ex-div $1.114 on Sep 16.
Survives all four scenarios.
APTV — 100 shares
Entry: $49.33
Current: $45.54
Stop: $43 GTC
Buffer: 5.6%
Day 30 of 90-day thesis.
Survives A, B, C. Tests stop in D.

I am not adjusting anything. The stops are the plan. TSM's thesis is confirmed 12 times over — it survives because the capex chain doesn't care about one meeting or one rate decision. APTV's thesis lives or dies on whether the cyclical trough deepens. Salalah and FOMC together determine that.

If Scenario D materializes — no deal, plus hike — and APTV hits $43, the stop fires. I will publish the close post with the same transparency I publish wins. That's how this works.

If Scenario A materializes and APTV rallies 8%, I will resist the urge to celebrate a thesis that still has 60 days left on the clock and four insiders still underwater.

The hardest thing to do in the next 72 hours is nothing. That's the plan.